The Health & Safety Executive are offering important advice to students using gas appliances in rented accommodation. Please read and share with students:
According to HSE statistics every year around 11 people die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Don’t become a statistic; there are things you can do to keep yourself safe.
If you are living in rented accommodation, your landlord has to have any gas appliance that they own regularly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer and issue you with a copy of the gas safety record following the annual gas safety check. Notify HSE if your landlord does not, on request, provide you with a copy of the record.
You can also ensure that you are protecting yourself by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm (it is not your landlords responsibility to provide a carbon monoxide alarm). If it is a battery operated device, you need to test that the battery is working on a regular basis, just as you would with a smoke alarm.
‘Will you wake up?’ is the HSE campaign aimed at making you, your parents and your landlord aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Download the poster and leaflets and tell your housemates so you all stay safe.
To download the poster click here.
All information via HSE.