Help and Advice

Could You Spot the Signs?

You can’t see it, or smell it or taste it, yet carbon monoxide poisoning kills people every single year.  The question is, could you spot the signs?

The Gas Safe Register have issued 6 key symptoms which could be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning :

  1. headaches
  2. dizziness
  3. nausea
  4. breathlessness
  5. collapse
  6. loss of consciousness
carbon monoxide gas safety

If you experience any of these symptoms you are advised to take the following steps :

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline
  • Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem

Every home should have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted as a primary precaution against carbon monoxide poisoning.  Plus, having a regularly gas safety check, by a registered gas engineer, will ensure your gas appliances are checked to ensure they are working correctly.

If you have any questions about gas safety and carbon monoxide positioning please contact the Gas Safe Register :

You may also like these

Tools for gas & electrical engineers

Get started with a free trial today